Can Delta 8 THC Stimulate Appetite?
In this world full of stress, lack of appetite is a common problem for most individuals. It begins with skipping meals because of workload and ends in weight loss or low nutrients in the body. Lack of appetite directly affects your growth and productivity.
Sometimes lack of appetite is more psychological than physical. Keeping the reason aside, it always ends in either lack of hemoglobin or other nutrients and vitamins in the body. It might look like a usual issue to some people, but it is not. It negatively impacts your body to a great extent.
So, what is the solution? How can you increase your appetite? One of the most popular solutions coming out is Cannabis. Although the research is limited, anecdotal experiences explain that delta-8 THC helps cure low appetite. But before you get delta-8 THC for it, it is vital to explore the product and know its effect on appetite.
Photo Credit: iStockPhoto
What is Delta-8 THC?
It is impossible to understand the effects of a particular product until you do not have complete knowledge about that product. So, before knowing the outcomes of delta -8 THC on appetite, you should learn about delta-8 THC.
Have you heard about delta 9 THC? No? Maybe because you are not much aware of the terms related to Cannabis. You are not alone in it. Most people do not know the scientific name of delta 9 THC and call it marijuana. The compound extracted from the cannabis Sativa plant is responsible for giving you a feeling of high. Delta 8 THC is an isomer of Delta 9 THC. It implies that the chemical formula is the same but the arrangement of atoms is different. To understand it clearly, take the example of graphite and diamond. Carbon is the main component of both materials. However, in graphite, the atoms are arranged in layers, while the arrangement in diamond is different.
This difference in pattern changes the properties of graphite and diamond. While graphite is a soft material used in pencils, diamond is the hardest material in the world. Similarly, delta 8 THC and delta 9 THC are chemically the same but different in arrangement. Unlike delta 9 THC, the psychotic effects are comparatively less in delta 8 THC. It is because it is manufactured either through hemp flowers or by CBD. It shows various properties, such as antiemetic Properties, anti-Anxiety Properties, neuroprotective properties, analgesic properties, appetite-stimulating properties, and anxiolytic effects.
Now you know what delta 8 THC is. You can get delta-8 THC from various online platforms or local stores. However, before that, understand its appetite-stimulating effects.
Appetite Stimulating Effects of Delta-8 THC
Here are some facts to know about appetite-increasing effects before you get delta-8 for that purpose.
- If you have consumed delta -8 THC, you might feel like munching on something after it. That is because delta-8 THC is responsible for appetite stimulation.
- A study organized by UTT BioPharma proclaims that “The ‘Munchies,’ a term well associated with the insatiable desire to eat when under the influence of Cannabis, is caused by a various array of physiological events which lead to the stimulation of hunger.” So, the appetite increase is related to the effects of delta-8 THC on the endocannabinoid system.
- When delta-8 THC interacts with CB1 receptors, your augmented sensory response to smell or odor increases; it also enhances the appreciation for food. When both these things happen simultaneously in the body, appetite increases.
- Most people are unaware of this, but the smell and sense of hunger are closely connected. However, the system of increased smell and hunger is not one-sided. It is a loop through which Cannabis modulates the appetite in the body.
Some people fear that increase in appetite might result in weight gain. However, this does not happen. You will learn the reason behind it in the next section.
Weight Management and Delta-8 THC
There are two ways delta-8 THC helps in weight management. They are:
- A 1990s study showed that delta-8 THC is more of an appetite suppressant. The study contradicted various other researches and studies that found delta 8 THC as an appetite booster. In the end, it concluded that it acts as both. The effect depends on the amount of Cannabis you consume.
- The 2004 study organized on mice brought interesting results. The study aimed at recognizing the effects of delta-8 THC on neurotransmitters, cognitive functions, and food intake in mice. When the mice were given delta-8 THC, their food consumption increased.
However, the surprising fact was they went through weight loss rather than increase. How did this happen? Along with stimulating appetite, delta-8 THC also boosts body mechanisms. So, your food gets digested and does not contribute to weight gain.
The finding of this study correlates with another analysis that the BMI or body mass index of people who consume delta-8 THC is comparatively lower than the BMI of people who do not consume it. If you are not aware of BMI, it is related to weight, height, and age.
Beyond stimulating appetite and weight management, Delta-8 THC offers several other benefits. The next section deals with some of them.
Benefits of Delta-8 THC
- Neuroprotective Properties
Some researchers claim that delta-8 THC stimulates Acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter responsible for cognition, memory, arousal, and neuroplasticity.
- Antiemetic Effects
Delta-8 is responsible for decreasing nausea in cancer patients caused by chemotherapy and other medications. The best part is it shows negligible side effects.
- Analgesic Effect
Most people suffer from pain may be because of an injury or an unlying health condition. The degrees of pain also differ. However, researchers claim that delta-8 THC is useful in relieving each type of pain, especially inflammatory and neuropathic.
So, these are the various benefits offered by this cannabis compound.
So, now you are aware of the benefits and effects of delta-8 THC. Like other cannabis compounds, it is also present in various forms. You can purchase gummies for a sweet cannabis treat, or you can go for a vape to enjoy the clouds. If you are not comfortable with consuming delta-8 THC, you can also use topical creams and lotions. All these methods show almost similar effects. A key point to note is delta-8 THC is currently a legal form of marijuana in most states. So, you can enjoy its effects without any worries.